Experience the Enchantment of Italy Yacht Charters: A Voyage Through History and Natural Beauty
Italy, a country nestled in Southern Europe, boasts an incredibly diverse coastline teeming with history, beauty, and allure. With its Mediterranean climate, enchanting ports, and stunning sailing destinations, Italy provides the perfect backdrop for an unforgettable yacht charter experience.
Steeped in history, Italy has been the cradle of numerous civilisations and empires over the centuries. From the ancient Romans to the Renaissance, Italy’s rich past has left its mark on the country’s captivating landscape. This wealth of history, combined with its pristine beaches, emerald waters, and mouthwatering cuisine, makes Italy the ultimate sailing destination.
Why Choose an Italy Yacht Charter?
An Italy yacht charter is the ultimate way to explore this stunning country. With the freedom to sail at your own pace, you can tailor your adventure to suit your desires, whether that’s soaking up the sun on a secluded beach, savouring local cuisine in a charming coastal town, or immersing yourself in Italy’s rich history and culture. With countless marinas and anchorages to choose from, you’ll be spoilt for choice when it comes to planning your perfect Italian getaway.
Sailing the Italian Coastline: A Journey Through Regions and Marinas
The Italian coastline is divided into several distinct sailing areas, each with its own unique charm and attractions. These include:
- The Italian Riviera: Stretching from the French border to Tuscany, the Italian Riviera is home to the famous Cinque Terre, picturesque fishing villages, and the luxurious Portofino. Marina di Portofino, Santa Margherita Ligure, and La Spezia are among the top marinas in this area.
- Sardinia: This enchanting island boasts crystal-clear waters, pristine beaches, and a rich cultural history. Porto Cervo and Porto Rotondo are two of the most prestigious marinas in the Mediterranean, offering world-class facilities and services.
- Sicily: Explore the largest island in the Mediterranean and visit the historic cities of Palermo, Syracuse, and Taormina. Marinas such as Marina di Ragusa and Porto dell’Etna provide excellent anchorages for yacht charters.
- The Amalfi Coast: Discover this UNESCO World Heritage site, known for its dramatic cliffs, vibrant villages, and azure waters. Salerno, Positano, and Amalfi are popular marinas, providing easy access to the region’s top attractions.
- The Bay of Naples: Home to the bustling city of Naples, the enchanting island of Capri, and the ancient ruins of Pompeii, this area is a must-see for any Italy yacht charter. Marina Molo Luise, Marina di Stabia, and Marina Grande in Capri are popular anchorages.
Best Marinas and Anchorages
Italy is dotted with numerous marinas that cater to a variety of yacht charter needs. Some of the most prominent marinas include:
- Marina di Portofino: Located on the Italian Riviera, this picturesque harbour offers a luxurious and exclusive experience, surrounded by vibrant pastel-coloured buildings and charming boutiques.
- Porto Cervo Marina: As the heart of Costa Smeralda, Porto Cervo Marina boasts world-class facilities, upscale restaurants, and designer shops, making it the epitome of Sardinian glamour.
- Marina Grande, Capri: This iconic marina is the gateway to the enchanting island of Capri, offering easy access to the Blue Grotto, the Piazzetta, and the stunning Villa Jovis.
- Marina di Stabia: Located near the Amalfi Coast, this modern marina provides excellent facilities and an ideal base for exploring the archaeological sites of Pompeii and Herculaneum.
Sailing Conditions and the Best Time to Sail
The Mediterranean climate offers warm summers and mild winters, making Italy an ideal sailing destination. The sailing season typically runs from April to October, with the peak months being June, July, and August. You can expect sunny days, calm seas, and favourable winds during this time. However, if you prefer fewer crowds and milder temperatures, consider sailing during the shoulder months of May, September, and early October. The Meltemi winds, which can reach up to 20-25 knots, are most prevalent during the summer months, making it an exciting time for experienced sailors seeking a more thrilling adventure.
Must-Do, Must-See, and Must-Experience Highlights
An Italy yacht charter offers endless opportunities for exploration and enjoyment. Some must-visit destinations and experiences include:
- Cinque Terre: Wander through this UNESCO World Heritage site’s colourful villages and terraced vineyards.
- Capri: Experience the glamour and sophistication of this iconic island, and don’t miss the Blue Grotto, a magical sea cave illuminated by an ethereal blue light.
- Pompeii and Herculaneum: Step back in time as you explore the ancient Roman cities preserved by the volcanic ash from Mount Vesuvius.
- Taormina: Discover the beautiful hilltop town of Taormina, with its stunning Greek theatre and panoramic views of Mount Etna.
- Venice: Sail through the romantic canals of Venice, admiring its historic architecture and unique charm.
- Taste the Local Cuisine: Indulge in Italy’s mouthwatering cuisine, from traditional pasta dishes and wood-fired pizzas to fresh seafood and world-class gelato.
Embark on Your Dream Italy Yacht Charter
Sailing the Italian coastline is an unforgettable experience, offering the perfect blend of relaxation, adventure, and cultural immersion. With its pristine beaches, breathtaking landscapes, and world-renowned marinas, an Italy yacht charter promises a once-in-a-lifetime adventure. So, what are you waiting for? Set sail on your dream Italian voyage and create memories that will last a lifetime.
Italy Yacht Charter Search: Crewed
Italy Yacht Charter Search: Bareboat & Skippered
Sailing is the best way to explore Italy’s yacht charter destinations, including Naples, Sardinia, Portofino, Sicily, Capri, Amalfi and Venice.
Italy Yacht Charter Itinerary: Portofino to Positano (Sample Itinerary)
Start your journey in one of Portofino’s finest hotels:
Hotel Splendido – Portofino
ITALY YACHT CHARTER DAY 1
Embark at Portofino Marina.
Depart to Portovenere via Cinque Terre
Distance: nm 25 – 1 hr
From Portofino, cruise the length of the National Park of Cinque Terre. At the end of this stunning and diverting coastline is Portovenere, where you will spend your first night. The famous Cinque Terre are five villages (Monterosso al Mare, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola and Riomaggiore) set along eighteen kilometres/five miles of sheer rocky coastline beneath steep terraced hills and vineyards. The little villages are built into the rocks between the beach and the hills and are famous for their vineyards and local wines. They are so hard to reach that they are almost perfectly preserved. The vineyards have created a unique landscape with dry-laid stone walls, winding paths, enchanting beaches between cliffs and clear waters. Not only the sea but the Cinque Terre also offer beautiful footpaths with take breathing view, churches, oratories and old castles, diving, food and wines of first quality. The Cinque Terre has been National Park and UNESCO-protected territory since 1997.
ITALY YACHT CHARTER DAY 2
Depart to Portoferraio – Elba
Distance: 80 nm 3 hr
Leave Portovenere early in the morning and cruise to Elba. Elba is one of the islands of the Tuscan Archipelago National Park, the largest marine Park in Europe. Reach Porto Ferraio, Elba’s main town. Porto Ferraio is lined with beautiful little seaside restaurants and lots of boutiques for shopping. Guests can have dinner near the port at “Stella Marina”, serving excellent fish specialities in a modern setting, or at the more elegant “La Lucciola”, 20 minutes away. Anchor off or dock in Porto Ferraio Marina for the night.
ITALY YACHT CHARTER DAY 3
Depart to Argentario – Giannutri
Distance 45 nm – 2 hr
Early morning departure to the island of Giannutri, along the beautiful peninsula of Argentario. Landing Giannutri with a chance to see the second-century AD Roman villa from the sea, to make optional excursions or diving in crystal clear waters of the wild Cala Maestra or Cala Spalmatoio. Drop anchor in the beautiful Gulf of Spalmatoio, a day at sea, at anchor overnight with dinner on board.
ITALY YACHT CHARTER DAY 4-5
Depart to Ponza
Distance 114 nm 5 hr
Morning departure for Ponza, the largest island of Italy’s Pontine Archipelago. Take a trip around the island and stop for some swimming. The island can be best savoured by circumnavigating it. Stop at Chiaia di Luna. This is a beautiful spot and also suitable for anchoring. Charmingly fringed with dramatic coves and cliffs, the main town features colourful houses and is seen by its visitors as a less-spoilt version of Capri. The island’s main settlement is Ponza Porto, around the harbour. There aren’t many tourist sights or monuments in Ponza, but there are excellent restaurants and a few options for late-night drinking and dancing. Anchor off in Ponza. In the morning, If guests love solitude, take them to the small island of Palmarola and anchor off in Cala dei Francesi, where guests can relax or go snorkelling. You could also take guests around the island by tender: this is the best way to see the cliffs, bay and grottoes. An optional spot for anchoring is Cala di Feola. In the evening, sail back to Ponza. Overnight in port or anchor off at “Frontone” bay.
ITALY YACHT CHARTER DAY 6
Depart to Ischia (Gulf of Naples)
Distance 40 nm 2 hr
Early departure to Ischia, known as the Emerald Island, because of its luxuriant vegetation. We recommend visiting San Angelo, a small fishing village south of the island of Ischia. This place is an idyllic treasure, bounded on one side by soaring cliffs which meld beautifully into crystal-clear Mediterranean waters. The village boasts a variety of ceramic shops and cafes on the main little square. Worth to be mentioned is the Aragonese Castle, the most impressive historical monument of Ischia. We also suggest light lunch and wine tasting at midday and a relaxing afternoon at the famous Ischia spas. Overnight in Maronti bay out of Santangelo or Santagelo port (small and picturesque).
ITALY YACHT CHARTER DAY 7
Depart to Capri (Gulf of Naples)
Distance 18 nm less than 1 hr
Early departure for Capri. Cruise around the Island with a few stops near the Faraglioni rocks and Marina Piccola. Guests can also go ashore for shopping or a quick visit to the island. Alternatively, they could visit the Blue Grotto, whose enchanted cavern attracts visitors worldwide. Guests are taken inside the cave in small rowing boats (up to 5 pax in each boat) that can penetrate the opening to the cave. Once inside, they will enjoy the most amazing sight ever. Lunch at one of the characteristic restaurants nearby the Blue Grotto, such as “Il Riccio”, “La Canzone del Mare”, “La Fontellina”, etc. Afternoon departure for Positano.
End your journey in one of Napoli’s finest hotels:
Hotel Torre di Cala Piccola
Royalty Yacht Charters offer unforgettable luxury yacht charters in the Tyrrhenian Sea, including Naples, Sardinia and Sicily.